Reinvent Yourself Makeover Girl
Since the commencement of my business in 2009 i have been the source of valuable emotional & practical support too my clients as well as offering valuable signposting services.
I am now able to introduce Gemma to the team who will be offering Gender Therapy Service. As well as offering this service to those experiencing Gender Dysphoria or Gender Identity Disorder, Gemma will also be offering support to partners & families of those that are transitioning or living as their perceived gender.
About me and my therapy practice
I'm a fully qualified, registered and experienced trauma-informed person-centred mental health nurse. I work with individuals and groups of all ages and also provide supervision.
During the core week I work as a full- time registered psychiatric nurse.
I work with clients face to face, online and via telephone – I am based in the north west of England.
My therapy experience includes working with organisations such as Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Trust, Lancashire Care and PRIDEUK. I work with clients from all backgrounds and with issues such as anxiety, depression, grief, trauma, abuse, sexuality, transgender, personality disorder, psychosis and many more.
What I can help with
ADD / ADHD, Addictions, AIDS/HIV, Anger management, Child related issues, Chronic fatigue syndrome / ME (Myalgic encephalomyelitis), Cultural issues, Disability, Eating disorders, Health related issues, Identity issues, Infertility, Obsessions, OCD, Phobias, Pregnancy related issues, Redundancy, Relationships, Self- esteem, Self-harm, Sexual identity, Sexuality, Spirituality, Stress, Women's issues, Work related issues.
Types of therapy;
- Person centred; Empathic understanding: understanding the client's point of view. Congruence: being a genuine person. Unconditional positive regard: non-judgemental.
- Holistic therapy - Treatment for the body, mind, spirit and emotions, holistic therapy simply refers to treating the whole person rather than individual symptoms. Also widely known as CAM – complementary and alternative medicine – holistic practices assist in regaining the physical and energy balances of the body.
- Humanistic therapy - a mental health approach that emphasizes the importance of being your true self in order to lead the most fulfilling life. It's based on the principle that everyone has their own unique way of looking at the world. This view can impact your choices and actions.
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy - focuses on changing the automatic negative thoughts that can contribute to and worsen emotional difficulties, depression, and anxiety. These spontaneous negative thoughts have a detrimental influence on mood.
- Mindfulness - Mindfulness - means awareness in its simplest translation. It is a way of paying attention, in the present moment. Cultivating Mindful awareness can help you work directly with day-to-day challenges, turning towards them instead of reacting against them.
Mindfulness can help improve your emotional and psychological wellbeing. Helping you deal better with symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress.
Teaching Mindfulness techniques to individuals, reduces anxiety and stress levels during exam time/ work related stress and other periods in life, improving overall psychological and emotional wellbeing.
- Play Therapy (children/ young adults), (and their families) to work through difficult situations and experiences such as bereavement, abuse and neglect, depression and anxiety, family conflicts, psychological issues or other traumatic experiences.
Clients I work with;
Adults, Couples, Families, Groups, Older adults, Organisations, Trainee, Young people and Transgender.
About me and my therapy practice;
I am trained as a person centred therapist, however, I have an interest in Existential and trauma therapy and have specialised in personality disorder(s) and gender identity as well as severe and enduring mental illness.
My main area of work is with severe and enduring mental illness and the LGBTQA+ community and those who support them as well as diverse relationships including Polyamory and kink. If you are suffering with your mental health, questioning your gender, sexuality or are an ally please contact me and let’s set up an appointment so you can start and move forward to what could be a brighter future. In my career I have mentored and enabled people to cope with managing challenges, providing them with the tools and mechanisms to positively move forward in their life.
I have worked for the NHS since 2011 in both the community and secure hospitals, providing therapy for individuals, couples, families and carers.
I offer confidentiality in a quiet, safe environment, where you can share and talk through your problems with someone you can trust.
My approach is Integrative, which means I have studied various therapeutic approaches and using my knowledge and skills I adapt my work to best suit your needs.
My personal and work life experiences have provided the perfect foundation for my work, drawing on years of knowledge to support people with life changing challenges.
My first session;
Our first session will involve assessing your health and wellbeing as well as any onward referrals we need to arrange.
Therapy is two people working together collaboratively and so it is important that you feel comfortable and able to speak about whatever is on your mind.
We will also complete a contract, which can be amended and altered at any time during the process
Counselling Sessions: are for 60 minutes and priced at £40 per session. Block bookings of up to 6 can be made in advance. Please contact us to arrange your appointment/s.
Our initial meeting for Couples and Family therapy will generally last for one and a half hours.